Wednesday, May 6, 2009

the haunted walkman, part 2

I needed to change my approach to everything. I had this analog 12 channel mixer since the beginning that hadn't incorporated into the recording process, and the 2|6 was by now collecting dust in the closet. I picked up some RCA to 1/4" adapters and plugged each of the output channels from the 2|6 into the mixer. In the software, I dropped the volume to "pretty low," and implemented all necessary high and low cutting. Everything else was jacked up, gained and equalized on the mixing board. It all sounded so good! Sooooooo good! Good in the headphones, good on the hifi speakers, good on your mom, good in your face. Good everywhere! The only problem that remained was that I had no immediate way to get it back into the computer. 

Trolling around on ebay, a cheap Fostex DAT deck from 1997 for $30 popped up almost immediately. It looked about as large as EIGHT X-BOXES stacked two deep, two wide, two tall. It was robosniped up to something stupid like $370 in the last ten seconds or so, which was upsetting, but inspired me to do some price hunting for a sensible alternative. As a video guy in college, the staff swore up and down on the virtue of minidisk recorders. So duh! I bought one on Amazon. I ordered it on a thursday, with an expected ship of friday. When friday rolled around, expected ship was still friday. However, as the weekend rolled through, they shifted the window to a friday after next through end of the month, which got me a bit spooked, cuz they already took the charge and I had no cash left over. 

I received the minidisk recorder in the mail that monday. The part number described the inclusion of a car kit, but instead I received a virgin collection of blank minidiscs, which was actually way rad.

I want to think the player boxed itself at the post office and was probably unable to file its own paperwork because it hadn't had internet access from inside the box. It has more flavor than two dudes having no idea how to correctly parse Amazon's complicated dance moves. 

I've been squeezing better and better sounds out of this thing with every session. It makes me feel like the Ultimate Warrior.

Here's a demo from the second ep, tentatively entitled "cyberpunk." 

No comments:

Post a Comment